Monday, February 23, 2009

Brick stitch pattern #4


Here is the next pattern from this late 14th century German embroidered hanging at the Metropolitan Museum in New York. This is a very simple pattern and is also available in a nearly identical version on Master Richard Wymarc's site here but his version does not have color. I like color to get a better idea of the final product.

This one is so simple it does not really require a pattern but I am trying to be thorough.

A completed item using Master Wymarc's version of the pattern is here, a little needle case I made last year. The zigzag is very bold and strong colors such as the red and white in the original hanging really stand out. For all of its simplicity it is one of my favorites.

2 comments:

Gina-B said...

These are lovely patterns, thank you for posting them - I'm enjoying having a look every morning! :-) may I ask what you're using to draft them?

Kathy Storm said...

Gina,
I am using Photoshop. It is a bitmap program and a vector based program such as Illustrator would probably be a better choice, however I know Photoshop and not Illustrator. I based my Photoshop template on the one Wymarc was kind enough to send me; he also used Photoshop for his patterns and it was easy to see how he put them together.